The MSD takes worker safety seriously and are constantly looking for opportunities to improve. As a 10+ year user of MSA gas detection equipment, the MSD knew they could trust the detectors, but they suspected that more could be done to ensure accountability for those detectors from a compliance, maintenance and training perspective. For that reason, they approached MSA to see how they could get more from their gas detection program and also uncover operational efficiencies.
MSD wanted to:
- Centralize the management of their entire gas detection program, including:
- fleet usage, performance and maintenance
- incident and compliance record keeping
- Understand when and how gas detectors were used so they could deliver the targeted training to their workers.
The MSD safety team implemented the Grid Fleet Manager service from Safety io. By connecting their MSA GALAXY GX2 automated test banks to their Grid account, the team was able to monitor their entire gas safety program from a single platform – regardless of where they happened to be working that day – and instantly access critical information that drove greater visibility, accountability, and program effectiveness.
The Grid Fleet Manager empowered the MSD team to...
- Proactively manage their detector fleet and confirm those detectors were ready for work.
- Better understand if detectors were used correctly and, if not, quickly identify who needed to be trained.
- Review incident reports and discern how to improve their gas safety procedures.
- Be prepared for (un)planned OSHA inspections and internal audits